In 2014, I along with other members of my guild, participated in a monthly quilt-a-long using the Modern Monday blog posts created by blogger and author Jenifer Dick of 42quilts. It consists of instructions for 52 6.5 inch blocks, mostly improvisational. We were tasked with completing 4-5 blocks per month for one year. It was interesting to see the differences in many of the member's blocks even though we all used the same instructions.
Of course to those who know me it was no surprise that I used solds (Kona) with Bone as the background.
I made about 47 blocks and 43 made it on this quilt, 65" x 76".
Two blocks (in an effort to, "Leave no block behind!") I made into wall hangings.
But the last two blocks I truly didn't care for so they had to take one for the team.
FMQ on the blocks was done to make the solid's pop. Large patches of solids were ditch stitched. The background pattern I grabbed from one of my go-to resources authored by Christina Cameli. This is a great filler design. I've also used a star variation of it in another quilt.
I usually piece all backs on lap-sized quilts, But since it took me FOREVER to design a layout, by the time the top was together, I needed closure. I chose Alexander Henry's, Gotas de Amor in Tea. The purchase of this fabric marks the beginning of my love of skulls (in fabric that is).